Monday, November 26, 2007

thankful: indoor market, paoli local foods and a new cookbook to explore




I am thankful for: morning after Thanksgiving baking -- pumpkin oat muffins. They turned out perfectly.

The indoor farmers' market on Saturday had what you might expect: squash, potatoes, bread and flour. But it also had the unexpected: spinach (lots of it), mushrooms, and tomatoes. There were so many people, which was great to see.

After the market and on the way to Illinois, Troy and I stopped at Paoli Local Foods, which is a nice bike ride away from Madison. Upon entering the small store you are offered tea or coffee and samples of spinach and goat cheese. The shopping experience is pleasant, offering a wide variety of local food items and hand-crafted items such as the soy candle I bought. I left with a cinnamon-scented candle in a mason jar and a bag of whole wheat flour. I hope to return soon though, when I have a way to keep food cold for the car ride (or maybe bike ride).

Thanks to everyone who commented or e-mailed me about what cookbook I should try cooking from locally next. I decided on The Joy of Cooking (thanks, Lexy) and upon first glances, it looks incredible. Tomorrow I'll update my first recipe using local ingredients endeavor.

1 comment:

etteloc said...

I just read your comments on my blog -- aww! Hold me to the bread tutorial, or I'll forget. I think that during winter break might be a good time.

I was going to suggest the Joy of Cooking -- I'm surprised at your dedication to just one cookbook. I'm too much of a dabbler to show that kind of commitment.