Thursday, October 11, 2007

day 17: sameness, midweek market and homemade crackers

As I mentioned, this week is flying by whirlwind-style, and my meals have all looked something like this: maple-apple bread with fried egg, maple-apple bread with homemade peanut butter, maple-apple bread with yogurt and raspberries, maple-apple bread with yogurt and peanuts (leftovers that I didn't use for the peanut butter). Sameness, blah-ness -- but every little bit counts in local eating, and I have successfully avoided all vending machines and chain restaurants. I am happy to report that the sameness will end soon! My next meal is an all new Martha recipe with pork chops.

Went to the Wednesday Farmers' Market to find arugula for a pasta recipe. Like I said, so many vegetables I like are disappearing with the cold air, and arugula is one of them. Instead I bought raspberries (farmer told me this was the final batch), green beans and a half chicken. With all the meat recalls lately I can't imagine how anyone could complain about the cost of buying local meat. I would rather live a life without meat protein than get e-coli from non-local meat. So I'll buy local.

Since I am almost out of my portable maple-apple bread, I decided to try Martha's cracker recipe. I used local flour in place of the all-purpose flour and honey instead of sugar. These turned-out great! Laugh all you want at the picture though; I won't mind. I know some of the crackers look smooshed and wavy-like, but hey -- they were hard to scrape off the table and onto the baking sheet! Now I h
ave a little bag of crackers to carry along with me and spread homemade peanut butter on.

Thanks to everyone who keeps reading and keeps me going. You are all so sweet and helpful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your crackers are quite charming-looking, actually!

Crayons said...

Hey!
I have an idea for your next meal. How about some maple apple bread with something on it?

I know what you mean when you talk about meat. I mean, I kind of gag when I look at the rows of bloody flesh in the grocery store. I think of how many times it has been transferred and touched. Gross. OK, change the subject.

I mentioned your blog to a local Sustain Dane person who showed much delight!