Wednesday, October 3, 2007

days nine & ten: sick day followed by all new recipes day




Tuesday I was pretty sick and without an appetite. I snacked on local applesauce, carrots and yogurt all day. I left work early and slept until my night class. In between I stopped at Walgreen's and bought the biggest carton of orange juice I could find. I drank it in 2 minutes flat.

Wednesday was much better and back on-track with local eating and Martha cooking. For breakfast I made a spinach omelette with feta
and hot cherry tomato sauce. I only used 2 eggs, as opposed to three -- which worked just fine. I liked how Martha called for adding the spinach to the skillet before pouring in the eggs. It looked much prettier that way.

Troy let me cook dinner at his condo, which was nice because the
space is much bigger and I was afraid the fish smell wouldn't dissipate quickly enough in my tiny studio apartment kitchen. I made pan-fried rainbow trout with wine glaze (trout from Artesian Trout Farm). I didn't realize that trout was in the salmon family, and was pleasantly surprised by the cooking process. The local flour I used for breading was great as well. I also made portobello mushrooms stuffed with gratineed potatoes, which was awesomely flavorful. Topped the entire dinner off with a bottle of Wollersheim wine. A great dinner!

2 comments:

Crayons said...

Wow, wonderful. I enjoyed reading this and seeing your new photo. I hope you are feeling better by now.

Anonymous said...

I am quite happy to hear that the trout cooking experience was a good one! (Or at least not a bad one.)

You've inspired me to try to make an omelette sometime.

Did Martha have any recipes for chicken noodle soup? Someone should've made you some local-ingredient-acquired goodness for your sickness!