Tuesday, October 16, 2007

day 23: catching up here

I really believe that local eating is for everyone. Just on different levels and in different ways. Maybe you are a student who can't afford to buy all of your groceries locally, but you could still buy things that cost much less than at the supermarket. Think vegetables and cheeses. Or maybe you eat at a lot of chain restaurants and could take a step to begin eating at locally owned restaurants. Or even better, at local restaurants that support local farmers. Think Roman Candle, Bluephie's, and L'Etoile (if only we could all be so lucky, regarding the latter of those!). Or maybe you are like me, without much cooking experience, kitchen space, or enough time to sleep. But with the greatest of intentions. In that case, maybe you could try to buy everything you need for your meals at the farmers' market, and support local producers such as RP's Pasta or Oakhouse Bakery for things that take too much time and energy for you to make yourself. Think pastas, breads, and desserts. No matter who you are or how much local eating you are ready for, I think the creators of the 100 Mile Diet were on to something when they said "START SMALL." That probably means not putting an extra stipulation on your local eating -- like cooking every meal from a cookbook that only has 3-hour long dinner recipes. This will leave you bitter about eating locally. Because you'll feel like a failure.

That's how I had been feeling about local eating. Until I stepped back and realized th
at it wasn't eating locally that made me bitter. Eating locally has filled me with happiness -- from walking around the farmers' market with heavy bags of fresh ingredients from farmers I have gotten to talk with, to the taste of unprocessed products and produce that last longer than usual in my fridge due to less miles traveled in a truck before getting to my apartment. No, it couldn't actually be the buying and eating locally that made me bitter. It was feeling forced to cook from Martha only. Now to be fair, Martha Stewart has some fantastic, if not outrageously time-consuming, recipes. I have enjoyed learning how to cook things and use equipment I have never heard of before this month. I am now less afraid of knives and meat (kind of). But maybe I need to try some other cookbooks, with faster and simpler recipes. Not Rachel Ray -- but I noticed that Alice Waters just released a beautiful and minimalist cookbook called The Art of Simple Food. Maybe I'll go that way. But eating locally is not something I intend to abandon with Martha or the end of these four weeks. No -- it is something I hope to continue as best as I can, for the person I am and the level I am comfortable with. It's really easy to make the choice to not eat locally, but I think it can be just as easy to make the opposite choice.

On the food front, this past market was really nice -- much cooler outside, and I was able to get normal-looking sweet potatoes from Harmony Valley. I love this farm so much that I really am considering getting a CSA through them next year. The only reason I haven't gotten
a CSA yet during my time in Madison is that I was afraid of being so overwhelmed with produce that I wouldn't be able to buy anything at the market. And going to the market is my favorite thing to do in Madison. After this past month, I realize that is an absurd thought. There is so much MORE at the market than I had ever imagined!

Still on the run like crazy this week due to midterm projects, taking-on extra hours at work (need to learn to say "no") and whatnot. Having made the decision to abandon the Martha aspect of eating locally, I made some things in bulk for the past few days. More crackers (this time I added some herbs) and a huge pot of an amazing and filling and warming soup from the October issue of Bon Appetit. I am a magazine junkie -- can't leave the store without the latest celebrity gossip, real/political news, or music news in-hand. I also am weak for nice food photography (Saveur magazine is my National Geographic). So I was excited to actually cook something from a magazine I bought. And it's the best recipe I have made all month, right up there with the zucchini fritters and the homemade pizza! So simple too -- just start with an onion/garlic base. Add sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. Then add chicken broth (oh yeah -- I made this myself with local ingredients!) and the browned sausage. Finish by adding a ton of fresh spinach, simmering until it wilts. It's called Sweet Potato Soup with Sausage. Check it out.

Otherwise, still eating locally with quick-grab items like apples, peanut butter, popcorn, green beans and yogurt. I wish I could have become a better breadmaker, but the time involved was an unfortunate issue for me. Still thinking positively though. Eating locally has so many heart-warming benefits, not to mention all those bigger benefits for the environment and economy.

3 comments:

Lexy said...

the more you cook - regardless of which cookbook you use - the more adept and knowledgeable you will become in the kitchen, and the less you will need any kind of cookbook at all. like any skill it takes time and practice. you've made such a great start!

Crayons said...

Amanda,

I like the way you articulated this quiet joy. You have made me so much more aware of the possibilities. I am still in the larva stage: I am aware, as I chomp on an apple from Oregon (West Coast) that it is not from here. I have gone out of my way this week to buy local products. The happiness that you are experiencing has flowed over my computer screen into my life. I really enjoy reading your thoughts and experiences.

Anonymous said...

Learning to say "no" is a big one-- you take on so many extra things, which is great, but stressful. I'm glad that eating locally itself isn't adding any additional stress to your life at the moment. Martha would definitely understand your taking a break from her recipes.