Thursday, September 27, 2007

day four: the best and worst day so far




This morning for breakfast I REALLY wanted some oatmeal. It's getting crisper and more fall-like outside and I just wanted something warm that didn't involve eggs. I looked all over the Dane County Farmers' Market website and noted one vendor that may or may not sell oats. According the the USDA's website, several farmers grow oats around here -- but I imagine most end-up untraceable, as they are used for feed or mass-produced cereal or something. So, no oatmeal for me anytime soon. I made zucchini fritters instead. These were the best recipe I have made yet this week. I used my local flour of course and the papusa instead of the zucchini, since that is what I had. Added an egg (again...) and some milk and parsley and voila! -- the most wonderful tasting thing I think I have ever made by myself! I am keeping this recipe up-front for future use; it's even good enough to serve other people. I was so pleased with how easily the squash shredded -- no wonder my mom always had several bags of shredded zucchini on-hand on the freezer.

As for the worser part of today. I made oregano flatbread. I'm not sure if it was the local flour or my amateur bread-baking skills (probably the latter), but kneading was one awful chore! Everything was a sticky mess
and I learned that when Martha says to have extra flour on-hand for the kneading process, she really means it. After more than three hours of being annoyed and not at all finding breadmaking therapeutic, I finally had myself some flatbread that didn't suck. I was so happy that it actually sorta-kinda worked out and tasted good enough, that I ate half of it for lunch on its own. I think I will eat more for dinner, with some havarti cheese and leftover roasted vegetables. I cannot cook anything else today; no way.

2 comments:

Crayons said...

Wow, I'm so inspired. You are so resourceful in tracking down the ingredients. I heard recently that there's very little diversity in grain recently in DAne County because farmers want to cash in on the corn oil boom. Maybe that's true?

The thing I like best about your blog so far is the sense of wonder and adventure that drives it. It's refreshing.

Finally, thanks for the note on my drawings. I gave up blogging five months ago. It was a time sponge.

Re: the recipes. For some reason I thought you could just add a link to your blog. But now I realize that you are working from a real, old-fashioned PAPER book!

Maybe you could publish the front cover so we know what it looks like.

Maybe you could write to Martha's magazine and ask them to write an article about your experiment! She would be into it because it's about her...

Anonymous said...

Ohh, I agree with crayons. You should definitely write to Martha. Perhaps she would mention your blog, and that would be exquisitely exciting!

Your recipes sound so delicious-- it makes me want to branch out even further and find some new amazing recipes. I'm also interested in Martha's cookbook. I thought that I could find any kind of recipes I wanted online, but it'd be inspiring to look through some of Martha's ideas, I think.

Your blog makes me happy. :)