Monday, September 24, 2007

day one: lunch and dinner (with added notes)


For lunch today I made a roasted vegetable salad over Harmony Valley greens with cauliflower, beets, carrots, red onion, red bell pepper and red potatoes. I made the dressing with the remnants from the roasting pan and some boiled apple cider. This was divine. And simple too!

For dinner I made the "inside-out" tomato sandwich with warmed herbs and oil. Although it tasted great, I felt a little too gourmet f
or myself -- eating this tomato drizzled with warmed oil and fresh mint, sage, oregano and parsley. Not sure if I'll keep this one for the recipe box. I did have to innovate a little, as Martha called for sourdough bread. I just used the bottom of a leftover popover. It was the perfect size. I think I will tackle the bread making in a few days.

On another note: I was largely inspired to begin eating more locally by a Madison family -- Jen, Scott and Evie. I let them know this, and they offered me some homemade cornmeal and vinegar to expand my cooking options! I was so warmed by their generosity and support of my project. I think eating locally will have more benefits than I had thought. The thoughtfulness of people I don't even know...

1 comment:

etteloc said...

I tried the cider/vegetable remnant salad.

I nearly died it was that good.