Monday, September 24, 2007

day one: breakfast: local success; culinary semi-success

So the experiment/experience has begun and it began with my favorite meal -- breakfast. I attempted Martha's Rosemary Shallot Popovers and every ingredient was local! I just replaced the recipe's all-purpose flour with my local whole wheat flour and used butter in place of canola oil.

The cooking itself was was less successful. My popovers looked more like "cave-ins" and I'm pretty sure it wasn't just the whole wheat flour's fault. Here is what happened: I mixed all the batter together and poured it into the muffin tins (note: I do not own a popover tin; I have never even seen one) after the butter started sizzling. I started studying as the popovers started to bake, and something caused me to look over at the stovetop. What was on the stovetop? The rosemary-shallot mixture! I had completely forgotten to add the most important part of the recipe to the rest of the batter! Only five minutes had passed, so I simply took the muffin tin out of the oven and sprinkled the rosemary-shallot mixture on top of the batter in each cup.

In the end, although my popovers caved rather then popped, I thought they tasted amazing! This is a recipe I will keep local and keep on record for future use. I'll just remember to follow the recipe more closely.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you can call them "popunders"

Crayons said...

You sound just like me! Kind of scatter-brained, but lots of fun.

Could you publish the recipe, or perhaps add a link to the recipe? I love rosemary. If not, maybe you could sometimes publish the recipe. I'm in a terrible rut these days.

Anonymous said...

"Cute" is the adjective that comes to mind that describes your popovers! And wtf-- a special pan just for them?! Martha's asking too much there.

I'm glad they tasted delicious. What a nice start to the challenge!