Wednesday, September 26, 2007

day three: breakfast and too many eggs??



Last night I saw the Brunettes play at the High Noon Saloon, which was excellent. However, I had to forgo an all-out Martha recipe in exchange for a quick grab-and-go dinner of leftover popovers and some slices of havarti cheese from Bleu Mont Dairy in Blue Mounds, WI. Still very good and better than a frozen dinner for sure!

For breakfast this morning I made a dutch baby pancake. I had never heard of these before, but I chose the recipe based solely on its all-local ingredients list (except the cardamom, which I left out). This tasted awesome! It was so fun to make because the honey and apples start out on the bottom of the dish and after they are baked, they pop right up to the top! This time what was supposed to pop-up actually did pop-up and the taste was so so good. My apartment smells like apple crisp too!

On a nutritional note ... I feel like I am eating eggs and a lot of dairy protein so far. The Martha recipes that are local-doable, seem to call for plenty of dairy farm type items. I think it's okay so far, but I might need to learn how to cook a chicken soon, especially since before this project I tended to get my protein from beans and hummus-type stuff. I'll look for some poultry and red meat or trout at the market this Saturday. And I'll look for a local-compliant Martha recipe as well.

No comments: